This recipe comes from Epicurious.com
In honor of #RecipeForDisaster, here’s a classic dish and a great use for your old bread!
Recipe by JENNIFER ISERLOH| SELF | JUNE 2009
Turn day-old bread into a masterpiece. This salad delivers all the vitamin C you need daily.
YIELD Makes 4 servings
- 4 cups cubed whole-grain country bread
- 3 tomatoes (about 2 pounds), chopped
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup mini mozzarella balls, quartered
- 1 cup roasted red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup turkey pepperoni, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Place bread, tomatoes, onion, broth and vinegar in a bowl
- add salt and pepper. Stir to coat, breaking up bread cubes.
- Add mozzarella, red pepper and pepperoni; stir to coat.
- Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
- Divide among 4 bowls; garnish with basil and thyme.
Per serving: 330 calories, 10.8 g fat, 4.3 g saturated, 39.4 g carbohydrates, 10 g fiber, 27 g protein
Nutritional analysis provided by Self
Leave a Reply